Saturday, June 4, 2011

My first week

I know I haven't updated in a while, I've been kind of busy. So I will break this down into days.

Tuesday

This was the first day going to the museum and I met Jill Norwood who is the Intern Coordinator. Of course, I was almost late because I was confused when I got off the Metrorail (I'm going to start calling it the Metro because that is what locals call it). We went to a room and signed some paper work and started meeting like everyone everywhere. Then we went to the Cultural Resource Center (a.k.a the CRC) and saw a few of their collections. Then we came back to the museum to eat lunch and then I met my supervisor Sharyl Pahe. She is the manager of the Cultural Interpreters program at the museum. Then my feet hurt so I went back to the dorm. This is the museum's entrance.


Wednesday

Wednesday was the first day I got to work with my department. Sharyl gave me and the Education Intern Brandi a tour of the museum and showed us all the people we would be working with. She gave me a million things to read so I would have a better understanding of the museum and the rules I need to follow. I was happy to find out that the dress code is a little more relaxed than other departments since I'll be on my feet a lot. I then followed a tour called a highlights tour, which just a tour of our three permanent exhibits. Then I had lunch with Brandi and one of the Interpreters. Then I spent most of the day reading everything that Sharyl had given me. Then I went back to the dorm.


Thursday

On this day, I was stupid and forgot my wallet. Which meant that I could not get into the door because I had a card key in there that lets me into two doors. So I went to one of interns and asked if they could help me out. Her name is Jamie and she lives in Tuscon, AZ. Later she paid for lunch for me and we walked to the metro and we went to our dorms. I also helped with an activity that the Interpreters do in the front. We did a simple beading activity and I thought is was very simple when reading the intructions and only learning to do the activity minutes before we started. But people can't read so I had to help them.  I then went to the dorm with Jamie after the day was over and then I ate dinner in my dorm. Then Jamie and  I went to get shakes and CVS so she could grab somethings.

Friday

This was probably the most claim day I have had all week. I went to the CRC for a security presentation and then headed back to the museum to have lunch in the cafe with another intern Lidnesy. I then spent the rest of the day with Visitor's Services to learn how they run the welcome desk and the theator they have. Then I went back to the dorm, and my roommate Avrely came and talked with me for a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment